After dabbling in the world of color psychology and branding for a few months, I’m excited to get back to what I love most, furniture restoration. My goal was to find a storage cabinet for an awkward space in my fireplace room. I headed to Pinterest for inspiration and to nail down the details. Pinterest is the birth place of all my ideas and the beholder of all that is great in this world. Here’s what I found.
Clearly I’m into the rustic, utilized look. After gaining inspiration from Pinterest, I decided I would search for a reasonably priced armoire on Craigslist and attempt to make it resemble a combination of the above pictures.
After a few weeks of searching, I found the cabinet pictured below for $80. To be honest, I think I overpaid but I was tired of searching and itching to get the show on the road.
Refinishing the armoire
Fortunately, whatever product the former owner used was pretty poor and I was able to sand this piece back to its original state in no time. I have an orbital electric sander. I used 80 grit, 120 grit and 220 grit sandpaper. The picture below is after a quick 80 grit sanding.
The next step was to remove the existing hardware. All my inspiration pictures had minimal hardware so I knew that’s what I was feeling. I ordered 4 European hinges from Amazon.com.
European hinges are concealed. See pictures below.
In order to utilize European hinges I had to purchase a tool that creates a hole in the wood in which to insert the hardware. The tool I purchased is called The Kregg Concealed Hinge Jig.
I ordered my pulls from Anthropologie during a sale. All 4 pulls cost me about $22 dollars. Whenever I need pulls my favorite places to search are World Market, Hobby Lobby and Anthropologie. Anthropologie is overpriced but they were running a special so I jumped at the opportune timing and purchased.
The next order of business was to change the legs. It’s funny how the small things can make such a big difference on a piece of furniture. Legs, hardware, wood details; they can all change a piece from feeling farmhouse to modern to French to whatever else is out there. Personally, I felt like the round, nubbin feet on this particular piece made it feel a bit 90’s. Perhaps something with clean, simple, straight lines would fit the inspiration photos more appropriately. I found these legs at Home Depot for $4 a piece. So we’ll say $20 bucks spent here.
I bought ArtMinds Dark Antiquing Wax from Michaels with a 50% off coupon for $7.00. I learned quickly that in order to use this stuff correctly you have to brush it on and wipe it off with absolutely no lag time between the two activities. If you wait any time at all to wipe off the wax it will not work correctly.
The only other change I made was I took off some of the decorative trim along the bottom and the front. I have a tendency to overdo demo on occasion.
I spent about $150 total on this DIY adventure. It looks kind of like my inspiration pictures but not 100%. I’m going to take some time to live with it, style it with some trinkets and see what happens. Sometimes, when I feel a project needs something but I can’t put my finger on it I will leave it for awhile and come back to it later. Often, a new idea that I hadn’t considered before will emerge.
That’s all I’ve got for today folks.
Thanks for reading!